While it is easy enough to create these html scripts, SeleniumAssistant attempts to make it even easier by:
- Allowing you to easily generate scripts while navigating your application
- Using a plain text script format instead of HTML
- Automatically generating suites by finding all the test files in a given directory
SeleniumRecorder is a FireFox extension that can be used for recording tests.
SeleniumAssistant is distributed as a Java Web Application (WAR). Instructions for deploying to specific J2EE Servers will vary, but instructions for Tomcat are here:
- Deploy the SeleniumAssistant WAR file to TOMCAT by copying seleniumassistant.war to the TOMCAT_HOME/webapps directory
- Deploy Selenium to your application server using the context path of 'selenium'. Note, Selenium itself is not distributed as a WAR. An easy way to generate the WAR so it can easily be deployed to Tomcat is to:
- Download the Selenium distribution and unzip it
- The archive should contain a 'selenium' directory. Zip up the contents of this directory. The root of this archive should contain index.html.
- Rename the zip file to selenium.war
- Launch SeleniumAssistant in your browser using the URL http://SERVER_NAME:PORT/seleniumassistant
Current Status (Jan 2006)
- Basic functionality for adding form fields and clicking buttons.